Eating out is like a trend for working people and not to mention eating out is also considered a major cause of obesity in America according to this article on msn (data taken from a report by U.S. Food and Drug Administration).Me being a working mom (a bit obese ), don’t feel that the hardest part of weight control is dieting, but keeping the weight off forever is the problem. Long term weight management doesn’t mean that I cant entertain and enjoy eating out or take part in Christmas festivities or any other occasion which involves a lot of food. So here am going to share some tips I follow to control what goes on my plate.
- Saying no to the extras. When I plan to eat out, that very second what comes to my mind is to say no to all the extras. I try to stick to what I’ve ordered and say no to all the extra calories by avoiding multiple carbohydrate intake. When going for Indian take out I choose only rice or either bread not both.
- Avoiding all the desserts or skipping the starter. I Just limit myself to two courses to save calories. For dessert I choose a fruit platter with varieties of fruit.
- Keeping it plain. While choosing food to eat, I try to choose food that is cooked simply and not drowned in high calorie sauces. Some grilled fish or meat are among my all time favorite options.
- Limiting to three types of food on a buffet.When serving myself at a buffet, I try limiting to two or three types of food at a time. I start with the vegetables and salads to leave less room for more fattening foods.
- Never to drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Alcohol is an appetite stimulant because it relaxes our inhibitions and we are more likely to be careless over what we eat. So when am going out drinking with friends, I try to eat something light beforehand.
Although I tend to spoil myself on delicious treats at times I compensate the extra calories with some exercise by taking long walks from home to work at times. I believe that it’s the commitment I make to myself that would help me to keep in shape.